Website City of Fort Saskatchewan, AB
General Accountant – Budget
City of Fort Saskatchewan, AB
The City of Fort Saskatchewan is seeking a professional, positive and detail oriented individual to join our Finance Team. Reporting to the Manager, Budget and Financial Planning, the General Accountant provides administrative and technical assistance to support the City of Fort Saskatchewan’s annual budget process including the development, monitoring and reporting of the City’s operating and capital budgets. The responsibilities of this position include assistance with gathering, reviewing, analyzing, and preparing budget information and maintaining budget software. This position works closely and collaborates with all internal departments within the City.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Assist with reviewing, analyzing and interpreting budget information to ensure completeness, accuracy and compliance with budget policy and guidelines.
- Assist with preparing the annual budget document, internal and external financial reports and reporting required by stakeholders.
- Maintain and reconcile monthly balances for reserves, deferred capital revenues, debenture balances, and committed amounts.
- Assist with fiscal management and long-term financial planning processes.
- Assist in the identification and maintenance of internal control procedures in relation to budget and financial reporting processes.
- Contribute to monthly, tri-annual and year-end budget variance and forecasts.
- Collaborate with the Manager, Budget and Financial Planning, Divisional Senior Accountants, Finance staff, and City Staff.
Key Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to ensure clear, concise, and accurate recommendations and information are provided to other departments.
- Ability to manage sensitive issues effectively.
- Strong strategic thinking and analytical skills to perform financial analysis, problem solve, make recommendations and prepare financial reports.
- Ability to manage multiple projects while meeting tight deadlines.
- Strong organizational skills and a positive attitude are essential.
- Accounting Diploma and/or an Accounting Degree
- Minimum 3 years intermediate budget experience within a multi-department organization (preferably municipal / provincial / federal government or agency experience).
- Minimum 3 years intermediate general ledger and accounting experience.
- Demonstrated ability to multitask while maintaining a positive demeanor.
- Experience with financial software, Microsoft Dynamics Great Plains, FMW, Worktech, Projecto, Intelligenz, Microsoft Office 365 (including Teams and SharePoint), and Google applications.
- Extensive working knowledge of Microsoft Office 365.
Hours of Work: 37.5 per week; Monday to Friday
The City of Fort Saskatchewan offers a competitive compensation package with a salary range of $73,456.50 to $86,424.00 per annum. Qualified applicants are invited to apply in confidence no later than September 15, 2023 through the Career Portal on the City’s website at www.fortsask.ca.
Fort Saskatchewan, home to more than 27,000 people, is a vibrant economic and cultural hub located in Treaty 6 Territory and Métis Nation of Alberta Region 4, just 15 minutes northeast of Edmonton. The City of Fort Saskatchewan proudly manages recreation, culture and historic amenities including a performing arts theatre and a fitness centre within the Dow Centennial Centre and the historic 1875 – 1885 NWMP Fort Representation in the heart of downtown. Located on the banks of the North Saskatchewan River, Fort Saskatchewan boasts more than 80 km of paved trails along with many natural areas for residents to explore. As a City, we believe in diversity and inclusion and are working toward creating a city where all residents are respected and have a sense of belonging.
The City of Fort Saskatchewan thanks all applicants for their interest and advises those applicants under consideration will be contacted.
To apply for this job please visit fortsask.njoyn.com.