Website City of Medicine Hat
City Controller/Manager, Financial Control & Reporting
City of Medicine Hat, AB
We have an exciting opportunity for a City Controller / Manager, Financial Control and Reporting to join a leading municipality in Southern Alberta. Reporting to the Director of Finance, the City Controller provides leadership to maintain and promote a cooperative, collaborative results-focused team environment and provide business partner support in finance, accounting, systems, and budgets to enable operations to deliver their strategic plan; while coaching, mentoring, and directing the work of team members. You will also coordinate and assist in the preparation of interim and annual financial statements and plan, research and implement legislation, standards, and best practices. This is a non-union management position responsible for providing leadership to the city accounting functions. This includes the development and maintenance of budgeting and reporting systems, analysis and interpretation of trends requiring management’s attention, preparation of financial and management reports, development of recommendations and the presentation of findings.
Medicine Hat is a thriving city of over 65,000 residents. It is known to be Canada’s sunniest city with an average of 330 days of sunshine. Located in the beautiful South Saskatchewan River Valley, residents enjoy the beauty and peace of the coulees and rolling prairie which boasts many species of wildlife. There are 115 kilometres of trails, with the app All Trails showcasing 24 of them. The community enjoys the values that are intrinsically tied to our history and quality of life. Medicine Hat strives to achieve City Council’s vision of being “a community of choice” where people come to live, work and play. For more information, please visit their website at www.medicinehat.ca or www.tourismmedicinehat.com for things to do and see in our beautiful community.
- Provides department goal setting and leadership including coaching, recognition, feedback, training, delegating and support to the team members.
- Advanced analytical and problem-solving skills to determine solutions to meet organizational and stakeholder needs.
- Prepares and presents interim management reports and year-end statements.
- Has thorough knowledge and application of accounting principles and practices, including those relating to International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) and governmental accounting (Public Sector Accounting Standards), Oil and Gas, Electric, and municipal utilities.
- Provides department goal setting, leadership and performance management to team members as required including directing, coaching, supporting, delegating and mentoring.
- In conjunction with the City Manager/CAO, Managing Director – Corporate Services, Director- Finance and budgeting department assists with coordinating the preparation and presentation of the annual and forecasted Operating and Capital Budget; assists in the preparation of guidelines, assumptions, evaluations and presentations.
- Responsible for the preparation and presentation of the interim management reports and year-end statements including the consolidation of statements into the City’s Annual Financial Statement.
- Provides, analyzes and interprets accounting information and provides trends requiring management’s attention.
- Provides financial cash flow analysis of potential acquisitions and significant capital budget items.
- Provides scenario analysis for significant risks. Provides risk analysis of companies with which we do business.
- Ensures new accounting standards are implemented as required and adhered to.
- Oversees the development and maintenance of accounting procedures and ensures proper internal controls are in place.
- Identifies opportunities and assists with business process re-designs and continuous improvements. • Other related duties, as assigned.
- Successful completion of a Bachelors’ degree in a related technical field, Business Administration, Management, Commerce or Economics from a recognized post-secondary institution
- Must possess a professional accounting designation (CPA).
- Seven (7) years’ accounting experience at a senior level, including five (5) years supervisory experience.
- Proven interpersonal skills and ability to model behaviors associated with a constructive culture with a commitment to health, wellness and safety.
- Exceptional organization, leadership, management and conflict resolution skills including the ability to work with minimum supervision and make decisions independently, using proper judgement and procedures.
- Proven ability to function effectively in a diverse, fast paced and demanding work environment with challenging and often competing priorities.
- Thorough knowledge of accounting principles (including PSAS and IFRS) and practices including those relating to Government accounting, Oil and Gas, Electric, Water, Sewer and Solid Waste Utilities, and the ability to apply this knowledge to accounting transactions in a complex environment.
- Knowledge of income tax principles and practices relating to Oil and Gas.
- Ability to represent the finance department on the Municipal Services and Energy Infrastructure projects.
- Advanced analytical and problem-solving skills with the ability to support effective identification of business problems, assess proposed solutions and understand the needs of stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to support the development of effective working relationships with stakeholders including qualities such as ethics and trustworthiness.
- Proven ability to elicit and communicate requirements among stakeholders, including the ability to deliver information through well-organized presentations.
- Demonstrated ability to draw on and coordinate resources from various departments or groups, including external consultants, maintaining full accountability for final deliverables including budgets and timelines.
- Advanced leadership skills to help build a strong team that engages and draws upon the strengths of work group members in the delivery of excellent, customer-focused programs and services.
- Demonstrated ability to work with a team, facilitate effective team interactions and help reach decisions for the work group.
- Proven ability to manage multiple work group priorities, initiate action, ensure appropriate follow up and constructively resolve issues.
- Advanced knowledge and ability to utilize standard business software as a tool for communication, analysis and documentation.
- Advanced organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple priorities while maintaining necessary attention to detail.
FOR MORE INFORMATION, PLEASE CONTACT
SANDY JACOBSON | VICE PRESIDENT | T: 780.944.1327 | E: email@example.com | www.richardsonsearch.ca
To apply for this job please visit ecl.vincere-digital.io.