Accountant - Financial Reporting
Organization: The City of Spruce Grove
The City of Spruce Grove is a fast growing, dynamic city committed to building and maintaining a fiscally responsible community that serves our residents, attracts visitors and promotes future growth. Through the actions of the Values We Live By, accountability, communication, leadership, integrity and respect are encouraged, while maintaining a work, play balance.
This position is responsible for providing robust, timely and efficient accounting processes and financial reporting that meets the needs of both internal and external stakeholders. The incumbent is responsible for implementing effective internal controls over financial reporting and provides support to the organization through training, advice and analysis as the technical expert on generally accepted accounting principles. This position reports to the Controller - Accounting and Financial Reporting.
• Implement robust and efficient accounting processes that allow accurate and timely delivery of financial reporting to internal and external stakeholders.
• Prepare monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements in accordance with Public Sector Accounting Standards, the Municipal Government Act and City policies and procedures.
• Analyze monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements to identify trends over time, provide feedback for future budget cycles and determine the completeness and accuracy of the information reported.
• Prepare supporting documentation necessary for a detailed review and audit of all financial statement balances and significant transactions.
• Prepare the municipal financial information return and reporting to external parties under various contracts and agreements.
• Support the audit process for City operations, the consolidated entity, and FCSS.
• Prepare routine reporting such as Statistics Canada quarterly reports.
• Develop and implement reporting enhancements with the Senior Accountant - Reporting and Senior Accountant – Projects.
• Monitor and maintain detailed financial data such as capital asset inventories and transactions, ensuring completeness and accuracy.
• Identify necessary changes to data structure in order to meet reporting needs.
• Ensure internal reporting meets the needs of internal customers for decision making, while remaining compliant with Public Sector Accounting Standards.
• Ensure external reporting meets the objectives of Council and the public.
• Participate on project teams as a subject matter expert.
• Provide training on financial software to new internal customers.
• Provide support to the organization through training, advice and analysis as the technical expert on generally accepted accounting principles, City policies, internal controls and financial analysis.
• Meet regularly with internal customers to validate data and ensure completeness and accuracy of financial reporting.
• Meet regularly with internal customers to determine how financial reporting and accounting can better support their business processes.
• Responsible on an ongoing basis to assess risks related to financial reporting and business processes, and determine appropriate responses.
• Implement internal controls over financial reporting processes and monitor them for effectiveness to ensure financial reporting is accurate, complete and in accordance with Public Sector Accounting Standards, the Municipal Government Act and City policies and procedures.
• Post-secondary degree in Accounting, or equivalent
• Five (5) to six (6) years' related experience including two (2) to (3) years’ experience in a public accounting firm
• Municipal experience considered an asset
• Chartered Professional Accountant designation required
• Public Sector Financial Reporting and Accounting course or equivalent an asset
• Project Management training an asset
Visit our website at www.sprucegrove.org for more information and to apply online.