Website City of Spruce Grove, AB
Senior Accountant – Accounting and Reporting
City of Spruce Grove, AB
Competition number: RR 2023 0094
Close Date: September 13, 2023 at 10:00pm MST
Salary Range: $79,939.00 to $98,748.00 (Compensation under review.)
The City of Spruce Grove is a fast growing, dynamic city committed to building and maintaining a fiscally responsible
community that serves our residents, attracts visitors and promotes future growth. Through the actions of the Values
We Live By, accountability, communication, leadership, integrity and respect are encouraged, while maintaining a work,
Reporting to the Assistant Controller, Accounting & Reporting, the Senior Accountant, Accounting & Reporting is
responsible for implementing robust, timely and efficient accounting processes and financial reporting that meets the
needs of both external and internal stakeholders. The incumbent is responsible for the evaluation, implementation and
monitoring of effective internal controls over business processes and financial reporting, and provides support to the
organization through training, advice and analysis as the technical expert on generally accepted accounting principles.
This position will work closely with the Senior Accountant – Budget & Financial Planning to ensure consistency of
approach between budget and financial reporting.
Under the supervision and mentorship of the Assistant Controller, Accounting and Financial Reporting, you will:
- Be a key participant in Accounting and Financial Reporting:
- Implement robust and efficient accounting processes that allow accurate and timely delivery of financial
reporting to internal and external stakeholders.
- Participate in the preparation of quarterly and annual financial statements in accordance with Public Sector
Accounting Standards, the Municipal Government Act and City policies and procedures.
- Participate in the analysis of quarterly and annual financial statements to identify trends over time, provide
feedback for future budget cycles and determine the completeness and accuracy of the information reported.
- Prepare supporting documentation necessary for detailed review and audit of financial statement balances for
significant and/or unusual transactions.
- Assist with audit preparation for the organization including the audit of FCSS, consolidated financial statements
of the City and municipal financial information return.
- Analyze routine supplemental internal and external reporting such as quarterly Statistics Canada and third
party financial reporting.
Champion the Finance Department’s Internal Controls:
- Assess risks related to financial reporting and business processes then determine appropriate responses.
- Implement internal controls over financial reporting processes and monitor them for effectiveness to ensure
financial reporting is accurate, complete and in accordance with Public Sector Accounting Standards, the
Municipal Government Act and City policies and procedures.
- Act as Accounting Technical Lead:
- Train Finance staff on use of financial systems, internal controls, financial analysis, and preparation of working
- Provide mentorship as required.
Become an Expert on the City’s Financial Reporting Systems:
- Monitor and maintain financial data and software systems to ensure data completeness and accuracy. Identify
necessary changes to data structure to meet reporting needs.
- Support the Controller in ensuring financial reporting systems meet the organization's objectives and reporting
Support City Departments in Financial Matters:
- Be the Finance representative on internal working groups as assigned by the Controller.
- Provide support to the organization through training, advice and analysis as the technical expert on generally
accepted accounting principles, internal controls, and financial analysis.
- Serve as the first point of contact for internal customers requiring assistance with gathering, analyzing and
interpreting financial information.
- Post-secondary degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration, or equivalent.
- Three (3) to Five (5) years related experience, municipal experience preferred.
- Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) designation required.
What we offer:
A Competitive annual salary of 79,939.00 to 98,748.00 (Compensation under review).
3 weeks’ vacation to start plus an additional thirteen paid days off per year (stat holidays).
A comprehensive employer – paid benefit plan.
Local Authorities Pension Plan that begins on your first day of employment.
APEX Supplemental Pension Plan.
Employee and Family Assistance Program.
Flexible work arrangement options, including a hybrid work schedule.
How to Apply: Visit our website at www.sprucegrove.org for a full job description and more information about the City
of Spruce Grove.)