City of Medicine Hat, AB
City of Medicine Hat, AB
In Medicine Hat you’ll find an exceptionally high quality of life…and a comparatively low cost of living. And here at the City of Medicine Hat, you’ll enjoy competitive compensation and benefits that support your family’s health, well-being and financial security.
The Accounting Supervisor will provide leadership to maintain and promote a cooperative, collaborative results-focused team environment and provide business partner support in finance, accounting, systems, and budgets to enable operations to deliver their strategic plan; while coaching, mentoring, and directing the work of team members. You will also coordinate and assist in the preparation of interim and annual financial statements and plan, research and implement legislation, standards, and best practices.
Our ideal candidate
Will have excellent supervisory experience as well as substantial experience with the coordination and development of corporate budgets, and developing, implementing, and troubleshooting software.
- Provides coaching, recognition, feedback, training, and support to the team members.
- Leads both accountants and assistants to deliver excellent customer-focused programs, while ensuring the team has the tools, training, and knowledge to perform their work.
- Coordinates and develops the corporate budget process including business plans, operating and capital budgets and communication of budget guidelines and timetable as well as appropriate cost allocation methodology.
- Coordinates and assists with the developments, enhancements, updates and supports of the Enterprise Resource Systems (Unit 4) modules (General Ledger, Planner, Project Cost Billing, Bank Reconciliation etc.).
- Coordinates and assists with the development and implementation of corporate management, budget, and ad hoc reporting requirements.
- Ensures the integrity of the Enterprise Resource Systems as well as the Oil and Gas financial accounting software and related processes and reports.
- Provides the liaison between the Directors and management team of the various City departments on matters relating to finance, accounting, systems, and budgets.
- Has thorough knowledge of accounting principles and practices, including those relating to International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) and governmental accounting (Public Sector Accounting Standards) and the ability to apply this knowledge to accounting transactions in a complex computer environment.
- Successful completion of a Bachelors’ degree majoring in Finance or Accounting from a recognized post-secondary institution, supplemented by a professional accounting designation (CPA).
- Six (6) years’ experience in an accounting environment, including four (4) years supervisory experience.
- An equivalent combination of management approved training and education may be considered.
We thank all applicants; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Medicine Hat is known to be Canada’s sunniest city with an average of 330 days of sunshine. There are 115 kilometres of trails, with the app All Trails showcasing 24 of them. Medicine Hat has a sunshine state of mind and shares that mindset with anyone who passes the bricked “Welcome to Medicine Hat” sign. Be sure to spot cactus’ while on the trails. THAT’S INNOVATION, MEDICINE HAT STYLE!
To apply for this job please visit medicinehat.prevueaps.ca.